Nigeria will only grow if we build partnership and collaboration for sustainable environment.
UN Climate Summit was another great moment to meet the new ministers of the environment. The zeal and motivation in them to take Nigeria a step forward cannot be an overemphasis.
Sir/Ma, if you can focus more on involving different stakeholders, you will be able to achieve more than this point I stated below.
· In partnership with local, state governments, stakeholders and youth, develop a plan to combat climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, consistent with our international obligations and our commitment to sustainable economic growth.
· Treat our freshwater as a precious resource that deserves protection and careful stewardship, including by working with other orders of government to protect Nigeria’s freshwater using education, geo-mapping, watershed protection, and investments in the best wastewater treatment technologies.
· Enhance the protection of Nigeria’s endangered species by responding quickly to the advice of scientists and completing robust species-at-risk recovery plans in a timely way.
· Work with local, state governments, stakeholders and youth to set stronger air quality standards, monitor emissions and provide incentives for investments that lead to cleaner air and healthier communities.
· Protect our National Parks by limiting development within them, and where possible, work with nearby communities to help grow local eco-tourism industries and create jobs.
· It is time for a renewed, nation-to-nation relationship with Indigenous Peoples, based on recognition of rights, respect, co-operation, and partnership.
· Work with other ministries to solve environmental issues facing the country.
I know we can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted to you. In turn, please know that you can count on young people and other sectors across the country to support you every day in your role as Minister.
I am deeply grateful to have this opportunity to serve as one of the youth representatives at the just-concluded conference in UN New York — with you as we build an even greater country. Together, we will work tirelessly to honor the trust Nigerian’s have given you.